Reading and retelling

 Edward Harcourt was a forty-year-old stockbroker who lived in London. He was very successful in his job and had made a lot of money, but he was feeling very tired of the stresses of the job and the hectic pace of city life.

    ‘I feel I’m living to work, instead of working to live,’ he complained to a friend of his. ‘I’m thinking of relocating so that I can improve my lifestyle,’ he went on. ‘Many people choose the quality of life above high salary and status. I want a completely different way of life!’
     After some thought, Edward decided to move to the country in order to keep chickens. He bought a chicken farm and moved in. His new neighbour, Bill came round to introduce himself and to offer help and advice.
     ‘I know quite a lot about chickens, so if you need any help at all, just ask me. Tell, you what, to help you start your farm, I’ll give you a hundred chickens.’
     Edward was delighted and thanked his neighbour.
 
A few weeks later, Bill dropped by because he wanted to see how Edward was getting on. ‘Things aren’t going too well, I’m afraid. All the chickens you gave me died.’ said Edward miserably.
    ‘Oh no,’ sympathized Bill. ‘ Well, don’t be too depressed about it. I’ll give you another hundred chickens, so you can start again,’
    After another week, Bill looked in on Edward again.
    ‘So how are you getting on now?’ he asked. ‘I hope the new chickens are doing well?’
    ‘I’m embarrassed to tell you,’ said Edward unhappily, ‘but the second lot of chickens are all dead, too.’
    ‘But that’s terrible! I wonder what the problem could be?’
    ‘I don’t know,’ replied Edward. ‘I’m not sure whether I’m planting them too close together or too deep down.’

Comments

Popular posts from this blog